One of the newest and most widely available policies throughout the country is Whole-Farm Revenue Protection (WFRP). This policy insures against a drop in total gross income for a growing, farming and/or ranching operation. This can provide a significant safety net for operations that have not previously had any type of crop insurance coverage available such as sweet potatoes and hemp. This insurance plan is tailored for any farm with up to $8.5 million in insured revenue, including farms with specialty or organic commodities (both crops and livestock), or those marketing to local, regional, farm-identity preserved, specialty, or direct markets.
Highlights of WFRP:
- All agricultural commodities generating income for the entity on the grower’s Schedule F federal tax document must be included for coverage.
- The liability limit for this program is $8.5 million per entity.
- Nursery and Greenhouse products are limited to $1 million of the revenue mix per entity.
- Animal or animal products are limited to $1 million of the revenue mix per entity.
- Replant payments are available if not already covered by an underlying MPCI crop policy.
- Other MPCI policies may continue coverage alongside the WFRP policy.
- WFRP is targeted to well diversified growers of products both included and excluded from traditional MPCI crop products.
- Potatoes may not be insured as a single commodity.
- Coverage levels and premium subsidies are based on commodity count.
- Growers may provide their adjusted gross revenue on either a fiscal or calendar year basis, this is determined by your federal tax filings.
- Income data is based on 5 consecutive years of Schedule F or other farm tax forms.